Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Let me start of by saying this post is about no one in particular, just a general observation from years of experience. Ok that said, I feel like I am a pretty tech savvy person. I know the risks that one takes getting on the internet. However, I have recently discovered how our younger generation has no regard for safety on the internet. They post on their blogs very personal information; full names, email addresses, location, school name, even phone numbers and personal addresses! I was shocked to find out that they don't see anything wrong with doing so. Do they not realize the danger? I guess its just the overprotective teacher/future mother in me that wants to protect them. Anyway, at the risk of listing specifics I'll stop before I start ranting and raving.!

5 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

This was a very big issue for me when I started my blog. For the first two months it was completely anonymous, no pictures, no info, no flavor.

In the end I decided that I wanted my site to have a personal touch. I did this for several reasons, but most importantly, the majority of my readers are close personal friends and family who I am not able to see often.

I decided to run the risk because the benefits, in my opinion outweight the costs. I think this has made a big difference in the development of my blog and my voice.

I do however try my best to keep things like phone numbers, addresses, places of employment, etc. off of my site.

Granted, if I were a girl things would be very different. Guys can afford to take risks like that a little more than girls can, I think.

So, as a new blogger you have a choice to make that I believe will effect the future success of your blog. It is a big deal, and there are a lot of things to be said for both choices. In my case I felt that using my name would work best, but that may not be the case for others.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

Although, I have seen a number of blogs for young (teenage) boys and girls which reveal WAY too much information. There was actually a really great article on CNN.com last month about it, but now I can't find it. It is much more dangerous for children, because many of them don't think of the consequences of posting so much personal info.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kelly Broussard said...

If you get your hands on that article again I would love to read it! I was so bothered when I came to the realization that high school kids are posting personal info on their online profiles that I just had to write about it. Its one thing for adults to put info up(which I have no problem with) but this younger generation just has no clue!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger brousky said...

I actually heard a stat on the radio (yes, talk radio) the other day that alarmed me..

Over 60% of teenagers that consider themselves "connected" have been solicited in some type of way for a face-to-face meeting with someone they talked with on the internet and almost 90% of the solicitations were of a "more than friends" nature.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Kelly Broussard said...

Don't tell me that! I'm just going to worry more. This stresses me out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home